Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Strawberry Muffins.

I made some strawberry muffins.

It turned out fine, considering the recipe was titled Whole Wheat Apple Oat Muffins and I didn't use any apples.

Strawberry Muffins

If I would make it again, I would pat the strawberries dry before adding them into the recipe.

Actually, if I would make it again, I would just follow the recipe and use apples, instead of strawberries.


Recipe for Whole Wheat Apple Oat Muffins
The original recipe supposedly makes about 14 muffins, but I didn't really follow the recipe and I think I made only 12...

I also forgot to do the crumb part. OOPS.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed, divided into two 1/4 cups
1 large egg
1 cup (8 ounces) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large apples, peeled, cored, + chopped into small cubes (about 2 to 2 1/2 heaping cups), preferably Honeycrisps, Fujis or Galas – I used strawberries .... pea sized bits

Directions:

preheat the oven to 450°F. grease + flour the cups of a muffin tin (or use muffin cup liners) + set aside.

mix together the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice + cinnamon, + set aside. in a separate bowl, cream the butter + sugars until fluffy. add the egg + mix well. add the milk + vanilla + mix again. then add the dry ingredients, mix + fold in the apple chunks (aka chopped up strawberries) with a spatula (by hand).

divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling to the top of the cup, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top (about 1 teaspoon per muffin). bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, + bake for an additional 5 – 7 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.

I ended up baking an additional 3 minutes because they seemed too moist... note to self: pat dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails