Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies

What should I do with left over cream cheese frosting?

Make cookies.

But what if I can't find a recipe... 

So make one up. 

Ok. 

Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies 

I had a ton of frosting left over and I was too lazy to bake a cake. 

I wanted to make cookies. The only problem was that I couldn't find a recipe to convert frosting into cookies. 

So I tried to think of other uses for frosting. 

I even googled it. 

Someone thought that spreading frosting on toast constituted as a creative way to use up extra frosting. Um, I beg to differ.

Frosting isn't very versatile because it is very sweet. 

I was afraid that if I made cookies, they would be too sweet and would give people an intense sugar rush. 

Sometimes people need that feeling, but most people end up with headaches from consuming a lot of sugar. 

To avoid that, I decided to add in a sour element, like lemon zest or lemon juice.  I used both.

And... voila, Lemon Cookies!


They turned out. Love when that happens.


Recipe for Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies
Ingredients: 
- Some left over cream cheese frosting (perhaps 2 cups...), here are some measurements, but they are total guesses: 
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 (3 ounces) package cream cheese, softened
2 cup powdered sugar (maybe... it was more?)
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
Instructions:
In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt. 

Add in egg, almond extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. 

Stir in flour, baking soda, and baking powder until well blended.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). 

Refrigerate dough. 

Form balls and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light and golden brown.
 

3 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a recipe like this for ages! Off to make them now, will update with my results :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have been wanting to make chocolate chip cookies all day but felt like I should use up this orange cream cheese icing I have left over in my fridge first...now I can do both! They are in the oven now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails