Friday, February 26, 2010

Oh honey, I just love you!



Honey, I think you are just fabulous. Why? Well... 
  • Your flexible. 
  • You are sweet. 
  • And best of all, you are ALL natural.
  • But you can be difficult...

 

...to get out of the bottle!

I tried to make bread using a recipe that came with the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. A recipe published in a manual that is distributed across North American would guarantee success... or so I thought. I choose the Honey Oatmeal Bread recipe to bring me to victory.

It was an odd recipe that required me to add DRY yeast into the flour, BEFORE being dissolved... and so I did. I added the wet mixture (which might have been too warm), just like it told me to. And Mr. Honey Oatmeal Bread did not rise to the occasion.



Well, he rose a little... but not much.


 

So I baked him anyways. 
He grew in the oven, like a baby.



And then I cut him open, like a surgeon.



And then I ate him... like any normal person would.


He was sweet inside but he was too dense. I think the wet mixture was too warm/borderline hot and destroyed the yeast, preventing him from growing. Oops. 

I also noticed Mr. Honey Oatmeal Bread had started to split at the top. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Recipe for KitchenAid Honey Oatmeal Bread Print Friendly Version
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. honey
1/3 c. butter
5 1/2 to 6 1/2 c. flour
1c. quick oats
2tsp. salt
2pkgs. active dry yeast (or 2 TBsp. from bulk)
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 TBsp. water oatmeal (for the top)

Place water, honey, and margarine in small saucepan.  Heat over low heat until mixture is very warm (120-130 degrees Farenheit).  

Place 5 cups flour, oats, salt and yeast in mixer bowl.  Mix with dough hook on speed 2 (low) about 15 seconds.  Continue mixing, gradually adding warm water mixture and mix for 1 minute.  Add eggs and mix 1 minute longer. 

Still on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes, or until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl.  Knead on speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.  

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover.  Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled.  

Punch dough down and divide in half.  Shape each half into a loaf.  Place in greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch baking pan.  

Beat egg white and water together with a fork.  Brush top of loaves with mixture.  Sprinkle with oatmeal.  Bake at 375 degree farenheit for 40 minutes.  Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.   

Yield: 32 serving (16 slices per loaf)
Per serving: About 134 cal, 4 g protein, 24 g carb, 3 g fat, 13 mg chol, 162 mg sodium

3 comments:

  1. That bread looks really good! I too am a honey lover. I just bought some pure unfiltered honey, it is really hard buy way more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job!!! The cracking can be prevented by ensuring the bread is well proofed before it goes into the oven so that it doesn't over proof in the oven during baking times. Looking forward to your next entry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails