Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cinnamon-Apple Yogurt Bread


It's Fall.

There are lots of apples around.

I'm not great at making apple pies so I thought I would make an apple loaf.

Cinnamon-Apple Yogurt Bread


I added an extra apple to the recipe. The loaf turned out alright, but if your not going finish it within a few days, you might end up with a moldy treat.

Turns out the apples have a lot moisture. A lot of moisture brings the threat of mold. Ewie. 

So if you are going to make this, I would stick with the recipe and cut the apples into blueberry-sized pieces.

 I skipped out on the cinnamon topping because I forgot about it. 
I think it would have been a nice addition to the loaf.
So if you make this, don't forget.

The recipe is for muffins but I wanted to make loaves so I dropped the temperature to 350F and baked for about 50  minutes.


Cinnamon-Apple Yogurt Muffins
(makes 12)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, quartered, then diced
1/3 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
2 large eggs
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 tablespoons Calvados (optional)

For topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Place cupcake liners inside a 12-cup standard muffin tin.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add diced apples and walnuts, tossing to coat. Whisk together eggs, yogurt, butter and Calvados (if using) in a small bowl. Gently fold the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Don’t overmix or muffins will be tough. Divide batter among muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix brown sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle a little of the mixture over the top of each muffin.
Bake until muffins are brown around edges and spring back when touched, 16 to 18 minutes. Remove muffin pan to a rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Then, turn out muffins onto the wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or freeze in a plastic container for longer storage.

From Carolyn Jung

7 comments:

  1. Joyce, Your recipe reminds me of my girlfriend's apple coffeecake which is always a big hit. You're right,the cake doesn't keep long. I love the muffin idea, and happy to come upon your recipe and use up my yogurt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I'm sorry about the mold though...I guess it means you need to eat these loaves as soon as you can (which wouldn't be a problem for me!) I love using yogurt in baked good recipes. So much moistness without all the fat! Thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very nice and yummy looking indeed! I love anything with apples but I was over the moon when I saw there were walnuts too! I am really loving the look and sound of this delicious recipe and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The loaf sounds delicious! It does look very moist, which is a good thing. I have a feeling this would get eaten in my house before any threat of mold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. completely unrelated, but apples got me thinking~
    make me some more apple upside down cakeeeeee
    :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails