Friday, May 28, 2010

Geez... You are STACKED!


Today's mission: To make a Stacked Cake.

By stacked, I don't mean "very muscular". Even though this cake is well built (if I do say so myself), it is far from being being muscular.


So what is a stacked cake?
It is just one caked placed on top of another cake.

So what is the big deal about these cakes?!
Well...   Cakestacked = Cake1 + Cake2 = lots of cakes to bake!

I made another carrot cake for the bottom tier. I was going to use a new carrot recipe with raisins. This recipe told me to steam the raisins but I didn't have a veggie steamer so I decided to use last week's Carrot Cake Recipe.


I also made a Banana Lemon Cake for the top tier.
baking soda, BUTTERMILK, butter, lemon, bananas,vanilla extract, flour, eggs, butter, raisins, salt, sugar


Wet mixture #1... What!? More than one wet mixture?!


 Wet mixture #2: Banana + Lemon
I used more lemon than what the recipe called for. 
The extra lemon gave a nice subtle flavor. Thumbs up.
I also used all but one banana.  Aww... the Lone Banana.


I showed that lemon who was boss. I totally destroyed him.
FYI - Half a lemon gave about 6 teaspoons... which was perfect!


Banana Lemon Cake batter!


Don't forget to lined pan!


Sometimes cakes don't want to come out.
Time for repair.


After repairing.. time to cover!


 ... with roses!


These roses are made of fondant. Rock solid.


!!!!!


 Top View


Side View


Now what to do with extra batter??


Mini Banana Lemon Cupcakes!!


Would I use this recipe again?


 
Recipe for Banana Lemon Cake
Printer Friendly Version 
adapted from the Best Ever Banana Cake

    * 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
    * 2 teaspoons lemon juice (I used 6 teaspoons)
    * 3 cups flour
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 3/4 cup butter, softened
    * 2 1/8 cups sugar
    * 3 large eggs
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla
    * 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Frosting (I used my buttercream recipe)
    * 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 3 1/2 cups icing sugar

Garnish ( I didn't add the nuts)
    * chopped walnuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 275°.Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.


In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
 

In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
Stir in banana mixture.
 

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (My mini cupcakes took around 33 minutes, while my cake took around 1.5 hours)
 
Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.  (DO it.)

For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth. Spread on cooled cake. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.

4 comments:

  1. u did awesome, what did u end up doing about ur pans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I decided to get the round pan set over the square ones, but when I got to the store.. they were all sold out. :(

    I went to bulk burn to see if I could rent some but apparently you can only rent the character pans. :(

    So I ended up getting a teeny tiny 6 inch round (BUT VERY DEEP) pan and I just used my square pan for the bottom tier of the cake. :D

    Oh, I have big pans for this little deep dish... big plans...

    AND your French Macrons are going to be made... soon... I just need a 9v battery, which I keep forgetting to buy.

    :D ...big plans...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails