Friday, December 3, 2010

Banana Muffins with a Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting.


Cupcakes are like mini cakes. Sweet and covered with frosting. More of a dessert.

Muffins are like mini bread things. Lighter and not as sweet. Not frowned upon to eat for breakfast.

So, is it a muffin or a cupcake when the muffin is covered with frosting?

Probably just a mupcake, since cuffin is already in the urban dictionary.

I made some Banana Mupcakes.

Banana Mupcakes with a Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting


I didn't use overly ripe bananas, just regular ones.

It made it harder to mush and I ended up with banana chunks. Totally fine.


I miss read the frosting recipe. Oops.

I made it work and I thought it tasted pretty good and I don't even like frosting.


I made these the night before and I was debating whether to put them in the fridge since I used a cream cheese frosting. I was particularly confused when I read that refrigeration causes cakes to dry out and that commercial bakeries refrigerate to prolong product life...

After I a long debate with myself, I decided that they should go in the fridge. I didn't want people to get sick from bad cream cheese. Now, I had to decide whether to cover or not to cover them. Of course, I found that the people of the internet support both sides. 

GAH! I JUST WANTED NON-SOGGY, NON-SPOILED MUPCAKES!
 
Recipe for Banana Muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, melted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.


Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.


 Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes (I baked mine for 13-14 minutes at 325 degrees C). Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped. 

Recipe from All Recipes

Recipe for Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used 1 box )
1 cup Nutella
1/4 cup shortening

2.5 cups powdered sugar

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, Nutella, and shortening. Beat on high until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Gradually add the powdered sugar, about one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.


3 comments:

  1. I'm sure these didn't last long enough to go bad. The nutella cream cheese topping sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know to refrigerate or not. It is a hard call. But I do know that these cupcakes look delicious! I love the piping that you did on the tops...so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing! Have a good Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the only things I remember learning in University is that bread products go bad faster in the fridge (do not remember why but that prof seemed to know what he was talking about). Oh and also if cheese is moldy throw it out, don't just cut off the mold. These two things were totally worth all of that money. They changed my life :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails