Sunday, March 10, 2013

Roast them nuts.

If you didn't know that I'm crazy for nuts, I guess I'm hiding it well. I'm talking about the culinary kind...

Anyways... I eat them everyday and I will probably continue to. I mix them into my oatmeal, add them into my trail mixes, or cover them with chocolate... I could go on.

In grad school, I had a jar of peanut butter by my desk and I practically spread that butter on everything so it's not surprising that if it came down to it, I would eat a peanut butter and jam sandwich everyday to satisfy my craving.

Maybe that is a little extreme. I would probably stop after the first year or so, but to avoid that weird situation from happening, I roasted some almonds and pecans.

I dry roasted some, made some salty, and also made some sweet.

Salted Almonds


Honey Cinnamon Candied Pecans

Oh, did you know that nuts are actually fruit? Apparently walnuts are fruit, but almonds, cashews, and peanuts are seeds.

I know I reference Wiki a lot, but I suppose that it's fine since they give a shout out to epidemiological studies in the Nutritional Benefit section. Isn't epi soo cool? ;)


Recipe for Salted Almonds
2 cups (500 mL) whole almonds
2 teaspoons (10 mL) canola oil (I used coconut oil)
salt... I forgot to measure the amount

Preheat the oven to 300F.

Combine all ingredients in small bowl, and toss to coat. Spread almonds on a parchment-covered baking sheet.

Bake at 300F for 15 minutes. Set pan on wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.


Recipe for Honey Cinnamon Candied Pecans
2 cups (500 mL) whole almonds (I used pecans)
1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup (I used honey)
2 teaspoons (10 mL) canola oil (I used coconut oil)
2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla
1 tablespoon (15 mL) cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt 

Preheat the oven to 300 F.

Combine all ingredients in small bowl, and toss to coat. Spread pecans on a parchment- or foil-covered baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until sugar is caramelized. Set pan on wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes. Break apart any nuts that have stuck together, and serve.

Ps I baked them for only 20 minutes. After they cool, store in a air tight container. Eat them on their own, add them to salads, mix them into your trail mix, or whatever else you want to do.

Directions for Dry Roasting
2 cups of almonds/pecans

Preheat the oven to 300F. Spread almonds/pecans on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Set pan on wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails